Sunday 11 June 2017

Ways I've been practicing self care


One of my New Year's Resolutions was to work on improving my mental health and start to practice more self care. After all, my mental health is my own responsibility. Nobody else is going to work on improving it or keeping it in a good place. I have a bad habit of not listening to my mind and body and ignoring when they need some TLC. Practicing self care is not selfish, in fact it is the total opposite. It's important to recognise and acknowledge that taking time out for yourself is necessary. Self care will be different for everyone but here are some of the ways I've been trying to do that.

1. Green tea
Yes, I'm a bit of a self confessed tea addict. At least drinking Green Tea is actually beneficial for you. It's loaded with antioxidants and has numerous other health benefits. I always start my day by drinking a cup, though I do drink more cups throughout the day. I find that when I'm feeling particularly overwhelmed, I tend to reach for a cup and try and de-stress.

2. Getting enough sleep 
In all honesty, this is one I'm still trying to get right. I have never been the greatest sleeper and my sleeping pattern can be horrendous. I'm always at one extreme or the other, either sleeping too much or not sleeping nearly enough. There seems to be no in-between. I try to aim to get seven hours every night but sometimes this does not even come close to happening. My brain seems to really wander at night and go into overdrive mode, so I've been actively trying to not think about things when getting into bed.

3. Reading
I'm a total bookworm, I always have been. But again reading is something I seem to do in extremes. I either devour multiple books in a short space of time or I go weeks or months without reading. this is  shame because it's actually one of my favourite things to do. However, I am trying to make reading a daily thing and set aside an hour each day.

4. Walking
This was something I did often at home because I would walk my dog (even though he stops and sniffs at EVERYTHING EVER). I enjoy getting out of the house and going for a walk, even if I don't have specific destination in mind. It's nice to be out in the fresh air, clearing my mind and getting that vitamin D. I find it quite relaxing to put my earphones in, blast some music and just walk around - often it allows me time to think. Living so close to a coastal town at home (Tynemouth will forever be my favourite choice) I love walking by the beach, especially on a lovely sunny day because it is gorgeous. Having said that, there is also something to be said for walks when the weather is less good, being wrapped up in a big scarf and coat. Coastal walks help me to clear my head the most. I've also found Sydney is great for this. There are an abundance of coastal walks that are available in the area. Yesterday I did the Bondi to Coogee coast walk and even though it was grim, rainy and windy, it was still pretty perfect. Sydney also boasts many beautiful parks and gardens which are lovely to walk through and are very peaceful and relaxing.  


5. Binge watch Netflix
While some could call this lazy, I actually don't care. It's an activity I enjoy and one that doesn't really require much thinking on my part. Who doesn't enjoy being hauled up in pyjamas, eating snacks and watching a good TV show?

6. Spending time alone
This is actually something I'm very good at. Almost too good at. I really enjoy my own company and it doesn't bother me spending time alone. I actually love it. I've never been afraid to go places by myself, I've been to the cinema by myself multiple times, I've eaten in restaurants by myself, I go to coffee shops by myself. Some people may find this odd or even weird but I actually don't care. If there's something I want to do I will do it, regardless of it I have anyone to do with me or not. But it has actually helped me identify how I like to spend my time and what I like doing. If you struggle with spending time by yourself, I'd advise that you start small and go from there. I love spending time with my good friends and family, but sometimes I can find being social quite draining. Spending time alone is essential for me to be able to recharge my batteries. 

7. Being kinder to myself
This one takes a lot of practice. I've always been far too hard on myself and I still am. It's probably one of my worst traits, but at least I recognise it and I'm trying to change that. So what if I miss the occasional workout, so what if I stuff my face one day (or a few days in a row), so what if I don't feel like doing much one day. It's really not the end of the world and I need to start accepting this. I champion everyone else around me, but I really need to learn to start to champion myself too. 

7. Learn to say to no
This is also one that I'm still working on, but I think it's really important to learn how to say no. No to friends, family, employers - anyone I feel may be putting extra pressure on me. I'm really guilty of being a total people pleaser, I hate the thought of letting people down and disappointing people so I try and do everything I can not be put in that situation. Sometimes though, this can lead me to feeling quite run down. It's important not to feel like you have to do things because there's a social pressure to do so. I'm getting much better at turning down plans because it isn't something I'm really interested in, or I know I'm going to be busy the next day and don't want to feel too tired. Obviously this isn't going to be the case for everyone, but it definitely is for me. 



Love,
Brogan
SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig